Celia's Journey (Blog Archive)

Friday, January 11, 2013

Celia's Check-Up!!!!

(Again, no time to go through and edit any errors to my writing... it is bedtime for CC and I!)

Celia's Check-up

In a nutshell: IT WENT GREAT!




MINUS THE SHOTS :(


-Growth-

Compared to other infants her same age, Celia is the in one percentile for her size...Haha!

Compared to other infants (regardless of age) her same height, Celia weighs more than 25% of them...chunk! :)

She has a great sized head.

She is growing rapidly (but on her own type of growth curve).

She is 9 lb 15 oz and 22 inches long.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Milestones-

At four months, babies usually double in weight from birth. Celia was born at 4 lb and 3oz [and 15 inches long]; she has more than doubled in weight.

She has a strong little neck! She can hold her head up and control where her head turns.

She can roll from stomach to back.

She coos, smiles, and laughs.

She sleeps for longer periods of time...FINALLY!

She already has some stranger anxiety.

Her eyes should be changing at any moment, but they still look so greenish. Is she really our baby???? Just kidding :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Immunizations-

Oh, the wonderful controversial subject: Celia is receiving all the recommended vaccines for 4 month old babies. However, we did half of them this week and will do the rest next week. Her pediatrician was very supportive with my decision to split them up...maybe because I have some black mail on him now. As all new employees must watch it, I saw a very funny, yet embarrassing, video of him dressing up and singing a song that helps us to remember the hospital's core value stuff. Ha!

Now, I have to figure how if I want  Celia to receive the flu shot at her next appointment. Her pediatrician highly recommends it, but kindly reassures me that it is my decision, of course. I do not think that I, or my siblings, ever had gotten the flu shot (until our jobs required it). If you have a strong opinion or personal experience one way or the other...please share this information with me via Facebook or email: Jabecker3@dmacc.edu

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Eating-

Celia currently takes formula. Her pediatrician said that it is absolutely my decision and based on my judgment when to introduce food (between her 4 month and 6 month appointment).Usually at four months, babies are "allowed" to start on baby oatmeal. However, I am going to wait just a little longer with Celia.

She is drooling a lot (a sign of readiness to have the oatmeal). She seems interested in what Mommy and Daddy are eating (another sign of readiness). But I am deciding to wait just a few weeks longer because she was a premie and she was not introduced to eating right away in the first place. Doesn't it seem logical that if she has not had as much practice eating as a normal four month old, that we wait a little bit to introduce her to eating oatmeal? That is my thinking anyway.

When we do start the oatmeal feedings, it will begin very thin and liquid-like at first, of course. We will steadily increase the thickness of the consistency (like "training" her to eat baby food). Then, we will introduce baby food! I plan to introduce food groups individually to be aware of any allergies she may have. I plan NOT to buy baby food in jars to use on a daily basis; we will only use it for an on-the-go basis. I plan to give her real, natural food without the extra stuff she doesn't need...it will just be all mushed up!

At her 6 month appointment, I will let her pediatrician know how she is doing with the oatmeal so he can give me the go-ahead to begin the baby food.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Give praise to the Lord, proclaim his name;
    make known among the nations what he has done."
- 1 Chronicles 16:8

Still, we have no worries with Celia. We are so happy that she is still on the right track. We believe that she will continue this progress for the rest of her life.  Her pediatrician told me to "keep up the good work", but we have done no work to get her to this point! All the glory to God! We do our best to "maintain" the gift of health that He has given to our child, who was given to us.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment